Removal & Installation
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle.
- Remove the flywheel/flexplate attaching bolts and the flywheel.
- Install the rear cover plate, if removed.
- Position the flywheel on the crankshaft and install the attaching bolts. Tighten the attaching bolts to 54-64 ft. lbs. (73-87 Nm), using the standard cross-tightening sequence
- Install the transaxle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transmission; refer to Section 7.
- Remove the retaining bolts and remove the flexplate from the crankshaft.
- Inspect the flexplate for cracks or other damage. Check the ring gear for worn, chipped or cracked teeth. If the teeth are damaged, the entire flexplate must be replaced.
- Make sure the crankshaft flange and flexplate mating surfaces are clean.
- Position the flexplate on the crankshaft and install the retaining bolts.
- On 4.6L engine, tighten the flexplate retaining bolts, in a crisscross pattern, to 54-64 ft. lbs. (73-87 Nm).
- On 5.0L engines, tighten the flexplate retaining bolts, in a crisscross pattern, to 75-85 ft. lbs. (102-115 Nm).
- Install the transmission and lower the vehicle. Connect the negative battery cable.