Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
NOTEInstall the long bolts and studs in the outer holes. Install the short bolts and studs in the inner holes.
IMRC housings to the intake manifold
Install the intake manifold assembly. Tighten the bolts in sequence as follows:
- Step 1: Tighten bolts 5, 7, 9, and 11 to 9-11 ft. lbs. (12-15 Nm).
- Step 2: Tighten all other bolts to 13-16 ft. lbs. (18-22 Nm).
- Step 3: Tighten all bolts in sequence 85-95 degrees.
Tighten the IMRC housing bolts as follows:
- Step 1: 71-89 inch lbs. (8-10 Nm).
- Step 2: Plus 85-95 degrees.
Install or connect the following:
Fuel temperature sensor connector
- Fill the cooling system.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then properly drain the cooling system.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly including the air intake duct tube.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable return spring at the throttle body assembly.
- Disconnect the transaxle linkage at the upper intake manifold.
- Remove the attaching bolts from the accelerator cable mounting bracket, then position the cables aside.
- Tag and disconnect the vacuum lines from the fuel pressure regulator and the intake manifold
- Disconnect the fuel lines at the injector fuel rail assembly.
- Disengage any necessary electrical connectors.
- Remove the drive belt. For details regarding this procedure, please refer to Section 1 of this manual.
- Disconnect the radiator hose at the thermostat housing connection.
- Disconnect the coolant bypass hose at the intake manifold connection.
- Remove the air compressor support bracket. Remove the alternator mounting brace.
- Disconnect the PCV lines. Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hoses located on the upper intake manifold.
- Remove the throttle body assembly and remove the EGR valve assembly from the upper intake manifold, if necessary. For details regarding throttle body removal, please refer to Section 5 of this manual.
- Remove the attaching nut, then remove the wiring retainer bracket located at the left front of the intake manifold and set aside with the ignition wires.
- Remove the upper intake manifold attaching bolts/studs. Remove the upper intake manifold and gasket.
- Remove the injectors and fuel injection supply manifold assembly.
- Remove the heater water outlet hose.
When removing the intake manifold retainers keep them in order so they can be installed in their original positions.
- Remove the lower intake manifold attaching bolts/studs, then remove the lower intake manifold. Remove the manifold side gaskets and end seals. Discard and replace with new gaskets and end seals.
The manifold is sealed at each end with RTV-type sealer. To break the seal, it may be necessary to pry on the front of the manifold with a small or medium pry bar. If it is necessary to pry on the manifold, use care to prevent damage to the machined surfaces.
When installing the upper and/or lower intake manifold(s), ALWAYS use a new gasket.
- Lightly oil all attaching bolt and stud threads before installation.
When using silicone rubber sealer, assembly must occur within 15 minutes after sealer application. After this time, the sealer may start to set-up and its sealing effectiveness may be reduced. The lower intake manifold, cylinder head and cylinder block mating surfaces should be clean and free of oil and gasket material. Use a suitable solvent to clean these surfaces.
- Apply Gasket Adhesive to each cylinder head mating surface. Press the new intake manifold gaskets into place, using locating pins as necessary to aid in assembly alignment.
- Apply a 1 / 8 in. (3-4mm) bead of silicone sealer at each corner where the cylinder head joins the cylinder block.
- Install the front and rear intake manifold end seals.
- Carefully lower the intake manifold into position onto the cylinder block and between the cylinder heads. Use locating pins as necessary to guide the manifold.
- Install the retaining bolts and stud bolts in their original locations.
For vehicles through 1991, torque the retaining bolts in numerical sequence to the following specifications in 3 steps:
- Step 1: 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm)
- Step 2: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Step 3: 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm)
For 1992-94 vehicles torque the retaining bolts in numerical sequence to the following specifications in 2 steps:
- Step 1: 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm)
- Step 2: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Install the injectors and fuel rail assembly. Tighten the screws to 6-8 ft. lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Connect the heater water outlet tube to the lower intake manifold. Make sure to fasten the hose clamp securely.
- Connect the heater water hose to the lower intake manifold, making sure to fasten the hose clamp securely.
- Connect the upper radiator hose to the water hose connection and tighten clamp securely.
- Position the upper intake gasket and manifold on top of the lower intake. Use locating pins to secure position of gasket between manifolds.
Install bolts and studs in their original locations. Tighten the four center bolts, then tighten the end bolts. Tighten the bolts in numerical sequence to the following specifications in two steps:
- Step 1: 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm)
- Step 2: 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm)
- Install the EGR valve assembly on the manifold if removed earlier. Tighten the attaching bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Install the throttle body if removed earlier. Cross-tighten the retaining nuts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Connect the rear crankcase ventilation hoses at the PCV valve and the upper intake manifold
- Engage all electrical connectors and vacuum hoses.
- Connect the fuel line(s) at injector fuel rail assembly.
- Position the accelerator cable mounting bracket, then install and tighten the retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).Install the return spring.
- Connect the transaxle linkage at the upper intake manifold.
- Install the alternator mounting brace, then install the drive belt. For drive belt installation procedures, please refer to Section 1 of this manual.
- Fill the cooling system to the proper level with the specified coolant.
- Install the air cleaner assembly and air intake duct.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine, and check for coolant or fuel leaks.
- Check and, if necessary, adjust engine idle speed, transaxle throttle linkage and speed control.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system. Relieve the fuel system pressure and disconnect the fuel lines; refer to Section 5.
Never open, service, or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. In addition, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Remove the wiper module and the air inlet tube. Release the belt tensioner and remove the accessory drive belt.
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires from the spark plugs. Disconnect the spark plug wire brackets from the valve cover studs.
- Disconnect both of the ignition coils and the CID sensor. Tag and disconnect all spark plug wires from both ignition coils. Remove the 2 bolts retaining the spark plug wire tray to the coil brackets and remove the spark plug wire assembly.
- Disconnect the alternator wiring harness from the junction block at the fender apron and alternator. Remove the bolts retaining the alternator brace to the intake manifold and the alternator to the engine block and remove the alternator.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Disconnect the oil sending unit and EVO harness sensor and position the wiring harness out of the way.
- Disconnect the EGR tube from the right exhaust manifold and lower the vehicle.
- Remove the 42-pin engine harness connector from the retaining bracket on the vacuum brake booster and disconnect the connector.
- Disconnect the air conditioning compressor, crankshaft position sensor and canister purge solenoid.
- Remove the PCV valve from the valve cover and disconnect the canister purge vent hose from the PCV valve.
- Disconnect the accelerator and cruise control cables from the throttle body using a small prybar. Remove the accelerator cable bracket from the intake manifold and position out of the way.
- Disconnect the throttle valve cable from the throttle body and the vacuum hose from the throttle-body adapter port.
- Disconnect both oxygen sensors and the heater supply hose.
- Remove the 2 bolts retaining the thermostat housing to the intake manifold and position the upper hose and thermostat housing out of the way.
The 2 thermostat housing bolts also retain the intake manifold.
- Remove the bolts retaining the intake manifold to the cylinder heads and remove the intake manifold. Remove and discard the gaskets.
- Clean all gasket-mating surfaces. Position new intake manifold gaskets on the cylinder heads. Make sure the alignment tabs on the gaskets are aligned with the holes in the cylinder heads.
- Install the intake manifold and the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts, in sequence, to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Inspect and replace the O-ring seal on the thermostat housing. Position the housing and upper hose and install the 2 bolts. Tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Connect the heater supply hose and connect both oxygen sensors.
- Connect the vacuum hose to the throttle-body adapter port. Connect and, if necessary, adjust the throttle valve cable.
- Install the accelerator cable bracket on the intake manifold and connect the accelerator and cruise control cables to the throttle body.
- Install the PCV valve in the valve cover and connect the canister purge solenoid vent hose. Connect the air conditioning compressor, crankshaft position sensor and canister purge solenoid.
- Connect the 42-pin engine harness connector. Install the connector on the retaining bracket on the vacuum brake booster.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Connect the EGR tube to the right exhaust manifold and tighten the line nut to 26-33 ft. lbs. (35-45 Nm).
- Connect the EVO sensor and oil-sending unit. Lower the vehicle.
- Position the alternator and install the retaining bolts. Tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm). Install the 2 bolts retaining the alternator brace to the intake manifold and tighten to 6-9 ft. lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Connect the alternator wiring harness to the alternator, right-hand fender apron and junction block.
- Position the spark plug wire assembly on the engine and install the 2 bolts retaining the spark plug wire tray to the coil brackets. Tighten the bolts to 6.0-8.8 ft. lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Connect the spark plug wires to the ignition coils in their proper positions. Connect the spark plug wires to the spark plugs.
- Connect the spark plug wire brackets on the valve cover studs. Connect both ignition coils and CID sensor.
- Install the accessory drive belt and the air inlet tube. Install the wiper module and connect the fuel lines.
- Fill the cooling system. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine, and bring to normal operating temperature. Check for leaks.