Removal & Installation
The pressure switch used with the oil pressure warning light is not interchangeable with the sending unit used with the oil pressure gauge. If the incorrect part is installed the oil pressure indicating system will be inoperative and the sending unit or gauge will be damaged.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the oil pressure sender/switch.
- Apply pipe sealant to the threads of the new sender/switch.
- Install the oil pressure sender/switch and tighten to 9-11 ft. lbs. (12-16 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector to the sender/switch and connect the negative battery cable.
- Run the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.
- Test and verify the engine oil pressure. See Section 3 for more information. If no or insufficient pressure exists, oil pressure problem exists and gauge and sensor are operational, repair oil pressure problem.
- Check the appropriate fuse before attempting any other diagnostics.
- Unplug the sensor electrical harness.
- Using an ohmmeter, check continuity between the sensor terminals.
- With the engine stopped, continuity should not exist.
The switch inside the oil pressure sensor opens at 6 psi or less of pressure.
- With the engine running, continuity should exist.
- If continuity does not exist as stated, the sensor is faulty.