Removal & Installation
Upper Intake Manifold And Throttle Body
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disengage the electrical connectors at the idle air bypass valve, throttle position sensor and the EGR position sensor.
- Disconnect the throttle linkage at the throttle ball and transmission linkage from the throttle body. Remove the two retaining bolts securing the bracket to the intake manifold, then position the bracket with the cables out of the way.
- Disengage the upper intake manifold vacuum fitting connections by disconnecting all of the vacuum lines to the vacuum tree, EGR valve and fuel pressure regulator.
- Disconnect the PCV system by removing the hose from the fitting on the rear of the upper manifold.
- Remove the nut retaining the EGR transducer to the upper intake manifold. Loosen the EGR tube at the exhaust manifold, then disconnect at the EGR valve.
- Remove the two bolts retaining the EGR valve to the upper intake manifold, then remove the EGR valve and the EGR transducer as an assembly.
- Remove the two canister purge lines from the fittings on the throttle body.
- Remove the six upper intake manifold retaining bolts.
- Remove the two retaining bolts on the front and rear edges of the upper intake manifold where the manifold support brackets are located.
- Remove the nut retaining the alternator bracket to the upper intake manifold, then remove the two bolts retaining the alternator bracket to the water pump and alternator.
- Remove the upper intake and throttle body as an assembly from the lower intake manifold.
- Clean and inspect the mating surfaces of the lower and upper intake manifold.
- Position a new gasket on the lower intake manifold mounting surface. Using alignment studs will make the job easier.
- Install the upper intake manifold and throttle body assembly to the lower intake manifold. If alignment studs are not used, make sure the gasket stays in place.
Install the four center retaining bolts and two studs to the upper manifold and tighten to 8 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). Repeat, in sequence, in two steps:
- Step 1: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Step 2: 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Install the two bolts retaining the manifold support brackets to the upper manifold, then tighten to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Position the alternator bracket, then install the two retaining bolts to the water pump and alternator. Install the alternator bracket to the upper intake manifold retaining nut, then tighten to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Connect the EGR valve to the EGR tube, making sure that the tube is properly seated in the EGR valve. Connect the EGR valve to the upper manifold, then tighten to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Install the canister purge lines to the fittings on the throttle body.
- Connect the PCV hose to the rear of the upper manifold.
- Connect the vacuum lines to the vacuum tree, EGR valve, and fuel pressure regulator.
- Position the throttle linkage bracket with cables to the upper intake manifold. Install the two retaining bolts, then tighten them to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm). Connect the throttle cable and the transaxle cable to the throttle body.
- Engage the air bypass valve, TP sensor and EGR position sensor electrical connectors.
If the lower intake manifold was removed, fill and bleed the cooling system.