Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Install a spring compressor and retract the spring until the upper mount rotates freely.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following:
- Remove the spring compressor and ensure that the spring seats correctly in the insulators.
- Install the strut assembly to the vehicle.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- On 1988-91 Town Car, disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the lower arm.
- Remove the shock absorber. Remove the steering link from the pitman arm.
- Using spring compressor tool D78P-5310-A or equivalent, install one plate with the pivot ball seat facing downward into the coils of the spring. Rotate the plate, so it is flush with the upper surface of the lower arm.
- Install the other plate with the pivot ball seat facing upward into the coils of the spring. Insert the upper ball nut through the coils of the spring, so the nut rests in the upper plate.
- Insert the compression rod into the opening in the lower arm, through the upper and lower plate and upper ball nut. Insert the securing pin through the upper ball nut and compression rod.