Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Install a spring compressor and retract the spring until the upper mount rotates freely.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following:
- Remove the spring compressor and ensure that the spring seats correctly in the insulators.
- Install the strut assembly to the vehicle.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- On 1988-91 Town Car, disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the lower arm.
- Remove the shock absorber. Remove the steering link from the pitman arm.
- Using spring compressor tool D78P-5310-A or equivalent, install one plate with the pivot ball seat facing downward into the coils of the spring. Rotate the plate, so it is flush with the upper surface of the lower arm.
- Install the other plate with the pivot ball seat facing upward into the coils of the spring. Insert the upper ball nut through the coils of the spring, so the nut rests in the upper plate.
- Insert the compression rod into the opening in the lower arm, through the upper and lower plate and upper ball nut. Insert the securing pin through the upper ball nut and compression rod.
- With the upper ball nut secured, turn the upper plate so it walks up the coil until it contacts the upper spring seat. Then back off 1 / 2 turn.
- Install the lower ball nut and thrust washer on the compression rod and screw on the forcing nut. Tighten the forcing nut until the spring is compressed enough so it is free in its seat.
- Remove the two lower arm pivot bolts, disengage the lower arm from the frame crossmember, and remove the spring.
If a new spring is to be installed, perform the following:
- Mark the position of the upper and lower plates on the spring with chalk.
- With an assistant, compress a new spring for installation and measure the compressed length and the amount of curvature of the old spring.
- Loosen the forcing nut to relieve the spring tension and remove the tools from the spring.
- Assemble the spring compressor and locate in the same position as indicated in Step 10a.
- Before compressing the coil spring, make sure the upper ball nut securing the pin is inserted properly.
- Compress the coil spring until the spring height reaches the dimension obtained in Step 10b.
- Position the coil spring assembly into the lower arm and reverse the removal procedure.