Removal & Installation
- Turn the air suspension service switch off.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Position safety stands behind the front sub-frame.
WARNINGUse extreme care not to damage the boot seal. Do not use power tools to tighten the nut, or bearing and seal damage can result. Install the nut using the hex hold feature to prevent the stud from rotating.
Remove and discard the stabilizer bar link retaining nut.
- Position another set of safety stands under the front sub-frame.
Remove the two bolts, nut and bracket.
- Remove the two rear sub-frame retaining bolts.
- Lower the rear of the sub-frame to obtain access to the stabilizer bar bracket.
- Remove the bolts and the stabilizer bar bracket.
Remove the front stabilizer bar and bushings from the vehicle.
- Install the stabilizer bar and bushings.
- Install the stabilizer bar bracket and bolts. Torque the bolts to 23-29 ft. lbs. (30-40 Nm).
- Tighten the subframe retaining bolts to 64-87 ft. lbs. (87-118 Nm).
- Install the two bolts, nut and bracket and tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Install a new stabilizer bar link retaining nut and tighten to 35-47 ft. lbs. (47-63 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Turn the air suspension switch on.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and place jackstands under the lower control arms.
- On 1988-91 vehicles, remove the link nuts and disconnect the stabilizer bar from the links.
- On 1992-00 vehicles, remove the retaining nuts from the pinch bolts at the spindles. Spread the slots in the spindles with a prybar to free the ball studs. Be careful not to damage the ball joint stud seal.
- Remove the stabilizer bar brackets from the frame and remove the stabilizer bar. If worn, cut the insulators from the stabilizer bar.
- On 1992-00 vehicles, remove the retaining nuts from the ball joint studs at the end of the bar. Use removal tool 3290-D or equivalent to separate the links from the ends of the stabilizer bar.
- Coat the necessary parts of the stabilizer bar with rubber lubricant. Slide new insulators onto the stabilizer bar.
- On 1992-00 vehicles, install the ball joint links into the ends of the bar with the retaining nuts. Tighten to 30-40 ft. lbs. (40-55 Nm).
- On 1988-91 vehicles, attach the ends of the stabilizer bar to the lower control arm with new nuts and links. Tighten the nuts to 9-15 ft. lbs. (12-20 Nm). Install the insulator brackets and tighten the bolts to 14-26 ft. lbs. (19-35 Nm).
- On 1992-00 vehicles, position the bar under the vehicle and engage the upper ball joint links to the spindles. Install the insulator brackets with the retaining nuts. Tighten the pinch bolts and nuts at the spindles to 30-40 ft. lbs. (40-55 Nm) Tighten the bracket-to-frame nuts to 44-59 ft. lbs. (59-81 Nm).