- Remove the radiator upper sight shield.
- Disconnect the power steering reservoir pump hose.
- Remove the air conditioning compressor, as outlined in Heating & Air Conditioning.
Remove the nut and the routing bracket.
- Disconnect the power steering pressure hose.
- Remove the four bolts and the power steering pump.
- If installing a new power steering pump, remove the pulley, as follows:
- If installing a new power steering pump, remove the power steering reservoir-to-pump hose.
If installing a new pump, install the pulley to the pump as follows:
- Thread the forcing bolt into the power steering pump and turn the Steering Pump Pulley Replacer to install the pump pulley.
To install, reverse the removal procedure. Observe the following torque specifications:
- Power steering pump mounting bolts: 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Power steering pressure hose: 31-39 ft. lbs. (41-54 Nm).
- Routing bracket nut: 80-106 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm).
- Install a new seal on the high pressure line fitting.
- Fill, bleed and leak check the system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the fluid return hose at the pump and drain the fluid into a container.
- Remove the pressure hose from the pump and, if necessary, drain the fluid into a container. Do not remove the fitting from the pump.
- Disconnect the belt from the pulley. On 5.0L engines, use pulley removal tool T69L-10300-B or equivalent, to remove the pulley.
- Remove the mounting bolts and remove the pump.
- On 5.0L engines, place the pump on the mounting bracket and install the bolts at the front of the pump. Tighten to 30-45 ft. lbs. (40-62 Nm).
- On 4.6L engines, place the pump on the mounting bosses of the engine block and install the bolts at the side of the pump. Tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- On 5.0L engines, install the pump pulley using pulley replacer tool T65P-3A733-C or equivalent.
- Place the belt on the pump pulley and adjust the tension, if necessary.
- Install the pressure hose to the pump fitting. Tighten the tube nut with a tube nut wrench rather than with an open-end wrench. Tighten to 20-25 ft. lbs. (27-34 Nm) on 1989-91 vehicles or 35-45 ft. lbs. (47-60 Nm) on 1992-98 vehicles.
- Connect the return hose to the pump and tighten the clamp.
- Fill the reservoir with the proper type and quantity of fluid.
- Bleed the air from the system.