- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Water pump. Use a new O-ring seal and tighten the bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Fill the cooling system.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system, remove the cooling fan and the shroud.
Never open, service, or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. In addition, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Release the belt tensioner and remove the accessory drive belt.
- Remove the 4 bolts retaining the water pump pulley to the water pump and remove the pulley.
- Remove the 4 bolts retaining the water pump to the engine assembly and remove the water pump.
- Clean the sealing surfaces of the water pump and engine block.
- Lubricate a new O-ring seal with clean antifreeze and install on the water pump.
- Install the water pump and tighten the retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Install the water pump pulley and tighten the retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Install the accessory drive belt; refer to Section 1.
- Install the cooling fan and shroud. Connect the negative battery cable and fill the cooling system as explained in Section 1.
- Run the engine and check for leaks.