Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Unhook the return spring from the leading (front) brake shoe. Remove the hold-down spring and the pin. Pull out the brake shoe and unhook the anchor spring from the lower edge.
- Remove the hold-down spring from the trailing (rear) shoe. Pull the shoe out with the adjuster strut, automatic adjuster assembly and springs attached and disconnect the parking brake cable. Unhook the return spring and then remove the adjusting strut. Remove the anchor spring.
- Remove the adjusting strut. Unhook the adjusting lever spring from the rear shoe and then remove the automatic adjuster assembly by popping out the C-clip.
- Mount the automatic adjuster assembly onto a new rear brake shoe. Make sure the C-clip fits properly. Connect the adjusting strut/return spring and then install the adjusting spring.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the rear shoe and then position the shoe so the lower end rides in the anchor plate and the upper end is against the boot in the wheel cylinder. Install the pin and the hold-down spring.
- Install the anchor spring between the front and rear shoes. Install the hold-down spring and pin.
- Connect the return spring/adjusting strut between the 2 shoes so it rides freely.
- Install the drum.
- Install the wheel.