The VSS supplies vehicle speed information to the PCM.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
- Clean any dirt from around the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the VSS.
- Remove the bolt retaining the VSS to the rear differential case.
- Remove the VSS from the differential case.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the vehicle speed sensor retaining bolt to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Remove the VSS.
- Connect a digital multimeter set to the 0 to 1 AC volt scale to the terminals.
- Pass a flat steel object across the tip of the sensor repeatedly.
- The digital multimeter should indicate voltage each time the steel object passes the tip of the sensor. If not, replace the sensor.