Removal & Installation
- Remove the crankshaft balancer.
Gently pry the crankshaft oil seal from the front cover.
Do not lubricate the oil seal sealing surface.
- Lubricate the outer edge of the oil seal with clean engine oil.
- Lubricate the front cover oil seal bore with clean engine oil.
- Install the crankshaft front oil seal onto the J-41478 guide.
Assemble the Crankshaft Seal Installer J-41478 threaded rod, nut, washer and the Balancer Installer J-41665. Insert the smaller end of the installer into the front of the balancer.
- Use a wrench and hold the hex end of the threaded rod.
- Use a second wrench and rotate the installation tool nut clockwise until the balancer is started onto the crankshaft.
- Remove the tool and reverse the installation tool. Position the larger end of the installer against the front of the balancer.
- Inspect the oil seal for proper installation. The oil seal should be installed evenly and completely into the front cover bore.
- Install the crankshaft balancer.