Removal & Installation
Important: Place the valve rocker arms, valve pushrods, and pivot support, in a rack so that they can be installed in the same location from which they were removed.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove negative battery cable
- Remove the valve rocker arm covers.
- Remove the valve rocker arm bolts.
- Remove the valve rocker arms.
- Remove the valve rocker arm pivot support.
- Remove the pushrods.
Clean and inspect the valve rocker arms and pushrods.
NOTEWhen using the valve train components again, always install the components to the original location and position.
- Lubricate the rocker arms and pushrods with clean engine oil.
- Lubricate the flange and washer surface of the rocker arm mounting bolts.
- Install the rocker arm pivot support.
- Install the pushrods.
Install the rocker arms but
tighten the rocker arm bolts at this time.
NOTEEnsure the pushrods seat properly to the valve lifter sockets and rocker arm ends.
Rotate the crankshaft so the No. 1 piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke.
NOTEIn this position, cylinder number one rocker arms will be off lobe lift, and the crankshaft sprocket key will be at the 1:30 position. The camshaft and crankshaft sprocket alignment marks will be in the 12 O-clock positions. If viewing from the rear of the engine, the additional crankshaft pilot hole, non-threaded, will be in the 10:30 position.
NOTEThe engine firing order is 1, 8, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3.
Cylinders 1, 3, 5 and 7 are left bank.
With the engine in the number one firing position, tighten the following valve rocker arm bolts:
- Tighten exhaust valve rocker arm bolts 1, 2, 7, and 8 to 22 ft. lbs.(30 Nm).
- Tighten intake valve rocker arm bolts 1, 3, 4, and 5 to 22 ft. lbs.(30 Nm).
- Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees.
Tighten the following valve rocker arm bolts:
- Tighten exhaust valve rocker arm bolts 3, 4, 5, and 6 to 22 ft. lbs.(30 Nm).
- Tighten intake valve rocker arm bolts 2, 6, 7, and 8 to 22 ft. lbs.(30 Nm).
- Install the valve rocker arm covers.
- Negative battery cable
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks.