Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEThe cylinder head bolts are NOT reusable.
Negative battery cable
Remove the cylinder head and gasket
Clean all dirt, debris, and coolant from the engine block cylinder head bolt holes. Failure to remove all foreign material may result in damaged threads, improperly tightened fasteners or damage to components.
NOTEDo not use any type of sealant on the cylinder head gasket, unless specified.
Install the new cylinder head gasket onto the locating pins.
NOTEThe cylinder head gaskets must be installed in the proper direction and position.
Install the cylinder head onto the locating pins and gasket and tighten the bolts in sequence as follows:
NOTENew cylinder head bolts must be used.
Tighten the cylinder head bolts.
- M11 bolts (1-10): 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)
- M11 bolts (1-10): plus 90 degrees
- M11 bolts (1-10): plus 70 degrees.
- M8 bolts (11-15): 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) Begin with the center bolt (11) and alternating side-to-side, work outward tightening all of the bolts.
- Position the engine ground strap against the cylinder head, if installing left side.
Install or connect the following:
Engine wiring harness ground bolt and tighten to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm)
- Refill the cooling system.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.