Removal & Installation
- Remove the transmission.
- Remove the engine flywheel.
- Remove the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts.
- Remove the rear cover bolts.
- Remove the rear cover and gasket.
- Discard the rear cover gasket.
- Clean and inspect the engine rear cover.
Apply a 0.02 inch (5 mm) bead of sealant, 0.8 inch (20 mm) in length, to the engine block. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the rear cover gasket that protrude onto the oil pan surface.
- Install the rear cover gasket, rear cover, and bolts.
- Tighten the rear cover bolts until snug. Do not overtighten.
- Install the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts but do not tighten at this time.
Rotate the crankshaft until 2 opposing flywheel bolt holes are parallel to the oil pan surface.
NOTEThe tapered legs of the alignment tool must enter the rear cover oil seal bore.
Install the Cover Alignment tool J-41476 and bolts onto the rear of the crankshaft.