Removal & Installation
The rear main seal is a 1-piece unit. It can be removed or installed without removing the oil pan or crankshaft.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Using a pry tool, carefully pry the old seal out.
Install Crankshaft seal installer J-41479 cone and bolts onto the rear of the crankshaft.
- Tighten the bolts until snug. Do not overtighten.
- Install the rear oil seal onto the tapered cone until the tool contacts the oil seal.
- Thread the threaded rod into the tapered cone until the tool contacts the oil seal.
Align the oil seal onto the tool.
NOTEInspect the seal and identify the part number markings for proper orientation.
- Rotate the handle of the tool clockwise until the seal enters the rear cover and bottoms into the cover bore.
- Remove the tool.
- Install the engine flywheel, refer to Flywheel/ Flexplate section.