- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
CAUTIONWait at least two minutes before proceeding to allow the airbag system capacitor to discharge.
- Push in the adjustable steering column fully.
- Position the steering wheel so that the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Ignition key and allow the steering to lock into position.
- Using a long hex tool, remove the tapered steering wheel bolt while steadying the steering wheel.
- Carefully pass the connector from the airbag through the hole in the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel from the vehicle.
Check the horn/airbag and clock spring contacts for any damage and replace if necessary.
- Align the recesses of the splines in the steering wheel with the markings on the steering shaft.
- Install the tapered steering wheel bolt and tighten to 60 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the airbag to the steering wheel.
- Reconnect negative battery cable.