Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
- Drain the cooling system into a suitable container.
- Remove the radiator fan with the radiator.
- Remove the accessory drive belt.
- Remove the starter.
- Lock the flywheel using Special Tool 9102 or a suitable flywheel locking tool to lock the flywheel into the starter opening.
Remove the vibration damper bolt and the vibration damper from the crankshaft.
- Inspect for oil leaks at the front crankshaft oil seal and replace if necessary.
- Inspect the sealing surface of the vibration damper and clean up with emery paper if necessary.
- Measure the vibration damper bolt and replace if the length-under-head exceeds 3.071 inches (78 mm).
- Position the vibration damper on the front of the crankshaft.
- Lubricate the bolt threads with engine oil and torque to 148 ft. lbs. (200 Nm)
- Turn the bolt an additional 90° clockwise.
- Install the accessory drive belt, radiator and fan.
- Remove the flywheel locking tool.
- Install the starter.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.