Magnesium cylinder head covers provide trouble-free sealing, are lighter than aluminum and dampen valve noise. They are cast in two pieces to create internal ventilation passages with oil separators for crankcase vapor ventilation. This ventilation system virtually prevents the possibility of oil sludge formation due to the retention of water vapor in the engine.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Air cleaner housing
- Check the gasket for tearing and breakage and replace if necessary.
- Position the cylinder head covers on the cylinder head.
- Install the cylinder head cover bolts and tighten to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Route the engine vacuum hoses on the cylinder head cover retainers.
Install or connect the following:
Crankcase ventilator hose to the left cylinder head cover