Removal & Installation
If replacing the ball joint on the right side, the air cleaner housing must be removed for access. The shock absorbers must remain installed.
To remove the upper control arm the shock absorber must remain installed.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Wire tie the steering knuckle to the shock absorber.
- Remove the ball joint nut from the upper control arm.
- Using special tool 9168 or an equivalent puller, press the ball joint out of the steering knuckle.
- If removing the upper control arm, from inside the engine compartment, remove the upper control arm nut and bolt, and remove the control arm.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the upper control arm nut to 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm). Tighten the ball joint nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).