Adjust the parking brake only if the hand brake lever can be pulled up more than 3 notches without having an adequate solid braking effect.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Loosen the parking brake cable tensioning bolt.
- Remove one wheel bolt on each rear wheel.
- Rotate the rear wheel until the parking brake adjuster wheel can be seen through the removed rear wheel bolt.
Use a suitable tool to turn the adjusting wheel until the parking brake shoes are applied and the rear wheel no longer turns freely.
NOTEWhen slackening the adjusting wheels ensure that both sides are turned back by the same number of teeth.
Right side: Turn the adjusting wheel from the bottom to top.
- Turn the adjusting wheel back until the rear wheel turns freely.
- Tighten the parking brake cable tensioning bolt until the parking brake cables no longer sag.
- Firmly apply the parking brake several times.
- To fine adjust the parking brake, tighten the parking brake tensioning bolt until the parking brake lever can be moved one tooth with moderate effort.
- Install the wheel bolt and tighten to 81 ft. lbs. (110 Nm).