The steering wheel must not be turned when the steering gear is removed, otherwise the clock spring contact will be damaged.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove ignition key and allow the steering wheel to lock.
- Draw off fluid from the power steering reservoir.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Disconnect engine ground strap from frame member.
- Remove lower engine mounting bolts on both sides.
- Place a jack under the left side of the engine and raise the engine about 2 inches.
Remove 3 bolts and remove the steering gear.
The steering gear mounting bolts are torque to yield bolts and must be replaced when servicing the steering gear assembly.
Align the marks on the steering shaft with the housing cover to ensure gear is in the center position.
NOTEDo not use force otherwise the lower steering shaft (collapsible tubing) will be damaged. Be sure that the connection is assembled properly.
Install or connect the following:
Gear coupling onto the steering shaft
- Fill the power steering fluid reservoir.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.