Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Disc brake calipers and bolts
Use Special Tool 9181 or a suitable bearing tool to remove the bearing on the hub.
WARNINGBe sure not to mar or damage the rear axle halfshaft flange while in vise.
- Remove the inner bearing race from the rear axle halfshaft flange by screwing the clamping pliers onto the puller then tighten.
Clamp the rear axle halfshaft flange in vise.
- Fit the thrust piece with the large diameter on the rear axle halfshaft flange.
- Place the complete puller over the inner bearing race.
- Clamp it firmly at the upper grooves of the clamping pliers over the tapered sleeve of the puller.
- Pull the inner bearing race off the rear axle halfshaft flange using the puller.
- Check the lateral and radial runout of the rear axle halfshaft flange. Replace rear axle halfshaft flange if test values are exceeded.
Use Special Tool 9199 or a suitable bearing tool to install the bearing by pulling it into the wheel carrier until it touches the shoulder of the wheel carrier.
NOTEInsure that the snap ring is correctly fitted in the rear wheel carrier.
Install the snap ring into the rear wheel carrier.
- Verify the pressure plate lies flush against the bearings inner race during insertion.
Install or connect the following:
Rear axle halfshaft flange