Removal & Installation
VIN V & W Engines
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the right camshaft cover by removing or disconnecting the following:
Positive battery cable at the battery and at the power distribution box
Remove the left camshaft cover by removing or disconnecting the following:
Air inlet tube
- Position the piston of the cylinder being serviced at the bottom of its stroke and position the camshaft lobe on the base circle.
Install valve spring spacer tool T91P-6565-AH between the spring coils to prevent valve seal damage.
- Install a valve spring compressor under the camshaft and on top of the valve spring retainer.
- Compress the valve spring and remove the roller follower. Remove the valve spring compressor and spacer.
- Apply engine oil to the valve stem and tip and roller follower contact surfaces.
Install valve spring spacer tool T91P-6565-AH between the spring coils. Compress the valve spring, and install the roller follower.
NOTEThe piston must be at the bottom of its stroke and the camshaft at the base circle.
- Remove the valve spring compressor and spacer.
- Clean the sealing surfaces of the camshaft covers and cylinder heads. Apply silicone sealer to the places where the front cover meets the cylinder head.
- Position new gaskets onto the camshaft cover and install the covers. Install the bolts and stud bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
When installing the right camshaft cover, install or connect the following:
PCV into the camshaft cover grommet
When installing the left camshaft cover, install or connect the following:
Ignition wire brackets on the studs
- Start the engine and check for leaks.