- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- If equipped with air suspension, turn the air suspension switch to the OFF position.
Remove the hairpin clip push connect fittings from both ends of the fuel filter as follows:
- Step 1: Inspect the visible internal portion of the fitting for dirt accumulation. If more than a light coating of dust is present, clean the fitting before disassembly.
- Step 2: Some adhesion between the seals in the fitting and the filter will occur with time. To separate, twist the fitting on the filter, then push and pull the fitting until it moves freely on the filter.
- Step 3: Remove the hairpin clip from the fitting by first bending and breaking the shipping tab. Next, spread the 2 clip legs by hand about 1 / 8 inch each, to disengage the body and push the legs into the fitting. Lightly pull the triangular end of the clip and work it clear of the filter and fitting.
- Step 4: Grasp the fitting and pull in an axial direction to remove the fitting from the filter. Be careful on 90 degree elbow connectors, as excessive side loading could break the connector body.
- Step 5: After disassembly, inspect the inside of the fitting for any internal parts such as O-rings and spacers that may have been dislodged from the fitting. Replace any damaged connector.
Remove the filter retaining clamp and remove the fuel filter. Note the direction of the flow arrow on the filter, so the replacement filter can be reinstalled in the same position.
Install or connect the following:
Fuel filter with the flow arrow facing the proper direction and tighten the filter retaining clamp
Install the hairpin clip push connect fittings at both ends of the fuel filter as follows:
- Step 1: Install a new connector if damage was found. Insert a new clip into any 2 adjacent openings with the triangular portion pointing away from the fitting opening. Install the clip until the legs of the clip are locked on the outside of the body. Piloting with an index finger is necessary.
- Step 2: Before installing the fitting on the filter, wipe the filter end with a clean cloth. Inspect the inside of the fitting to be sure it is free of dirt and/or obstructions.
- Step 3: Apply a light coating of engine oil to the filter end. Align the fitting and filter axially and push the fitting onto the filter end. When the fitting is engaged, a definite click will be heard. Pull on the fitting to be sure it is fully engaged.
- If equipped with air suspension, turn the air suspension switch to the ON position.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for fuel leaks and proper operation.