If the vehicle is equipped with air suspension, the electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the luggage compartment. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
New O-ring seals must be installed anytime the lines are disconnected from the steering gear.
The electrical power to the air suspension system must be turned off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Hold the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position, using a suitable holding device.
WARNINGDo not allow the intermediate shaft to rotate while it is disconnected from the steering gear or damage to the clockspring can result. If there is evidence that the intermediate shaft has rotated, the clockspring must be removed and recentered.
- From the engine compartment, remove the pinch bolt and detach the intermediate shaft from the gear.
Remove the wheel and tire assemblies.
NOTEThe hex holding feature can be used to prevent turning of the stud while removing the nut.
- Remove the nuts and detach the tie-rods from the wheel knuckles.
- Remove the clamp plate bolt and disconnect the steering gear lines.
- Drain the fluid into a suitable container and discard the O-ring seals.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Remove the steering gear-to-crossmember nuts.
Remove the studs and the steering gear.
Install or connect the following:
Steering gear studs and torque to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the steering wheel intermediate shaft and torque the pinch bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)
- Ensure that the wheels and steering wheel are lined up.
- Refill the power steering system, bleed, check for leaks and repair if necessary.