Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Remove the axle shaft.
If only the seal needs to be replaced, use care to avoid damaging the seal bore.
NOTEIf the wheel bearing oil seal is leaking, the axle housing vent may be plugged with foreign material.
- If only the seal needs to be replaced, use care to avoid damaging the seal bore.
- Remove the oil seal from the axle tube and discard.
- Inspect the rear wheel bearing and axle shaft for wear or damage.
Remove the rear wheel bearing using a slide hammer.
- Lubricate the new rear wheel bearing with SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant XY-80W90-QL or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.
- Install the rear wheel bearing using a suitable press or hammer and drift.
- Lubricate the lip of the new wheel bearing oil seal using Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B.
- Install the wheel bearing oil seal using a suitable seal installer.
- Install the axle shaft.