Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONNever open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant.
- Drain the engine coolant below the level of the thermostat housing or intake manifold.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly if necessary for access to the sensor.
- Remove the connector from the sensor. Vehicles with air conditioning may benefit if you fabricate an L-shaped hook tool from a wire coat hanger about 8 in. long. Use the hook for removal rather than pulling on the wiring harness.
- Remove the sensor from the intake manifold.
- Install the sensor in the manifold and tighten to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install the connector on the sensor. There is no polarity: the connector cannot be accidentally reversed.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Inspect for leaks.
- Install the engine cover.