Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery negative cable(s).
If equipped with a tilt column, remove the tilt lever (turn counterclockwise).
- Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds.
- Place automatic transmissions in PARK .
- Turn the key to the RUN position.
- Press in on the retaining pin while pulling the key from the ignition switch.
- Remove the key lock cylinder.
- Remove the three ignition switch mounting screws, which require a tamper-proof Torx® bit.
- Gently pull the switch away from the steering column. Release the connector locks on the seven-terminal wiring connector.
Release the connector lock on the four-terminal halo lamp wiring connector and remove connector.
- Rotate the flag on the rear of the ignition switch until it is in the RUN position. This is to allow the tang on the key cylinder to fit into the slots within the ignition switch.
- With the key in the ignition key cylinder, rotate the key CW until the retaining pin can be depressed.
- Install the key cylinder into the ignition switch by aligning the retaining pin into the retaining pin slot. Push the key cylinder into the switch until the retaining pin engages. After the pin engages, rotate the key to OFF or LOCK .
- Check for proper retention of the key cylinder by attempting to pull the cylinder from the switch.
On automatic transmission models, before attaching the ignition switch to the steering column, ensure that the shifter is in
. The park lock dowel pin on the rear of the ignition switch must also be properly indexed into the park lock linkage before installing the switch.
- The flag at the rear of the ignition switch must be properly indexed into the steering column before installing the switch. This flag is used to operate the steering wheel lock lever in the steering column. This lever allows the steering wheel position to be locked when the key switch is in the LOCK position.
- Place the ignition switch in the LOCK position. The switch is in the LOCK position when the column lock flag is parallel to the ignition switch terminals.
- On automatic transmission models, apply a light coating of grease to the park lock dowel pin and park lock slider linkage. Before installing the switch, push the park lock slider linkage forward until it bottoms. Do a final positioning by pulling it rearward about 1 / 4 in.
- Apply a light coating of grease to both column lock flag and shaft at end of flag.
- Place the ignition switch into openings on steering column.
- On automatic transmission models, be sure the park lock dowel pin on the rear of the ignition switch enters the slot in the park lock slider linkage.
- Be sure the flag on the rear of the switch is positioned above the steering wheel lock lever.
- Align the dowel pins on the rear of the switch into the holes on the side of the steering column.
- Install the mounting screws and tighten to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- After installing the switch, rotate the key from LOCK to ON . Verify that the park lock slider moves in the slider slot, allowing the gearshift lever to be moved out of PARK on automatic transmission models. If the slider does not move, and the gearshift lever is locked in PARK , the ignition switch park lock dowel pin, on the rear of the ignition switch, is not properly installed in the slot of the park lock slider linkage. Remove the ignition switch and reinstall.
- Connect the electrical connectors to the halo lamp. Make sure that the switch locking tabs are fully seated in the wiring connectors.
- Install the steering column covers.
- The remainder of the procedure is the reverse of removal.