Removal & Installation
Dust and dirt accumulating on brake parts during normal use may contain asbestos fibers from production or aftermarket brake linings. Breathing excessive concentrations of asbestos fibers can cause serious bodily harm. Exercise care when servicing brake parts. Do not sand or grind brake lining unless equipment used is designed to contain the dust residue. Do not clean brake parts with compressed air or by dry brushing. Cleaning should be done by dampening the brake components with a fine mist of water, then wiping the brake components clean with a dampened cloth. Dispose of cloth and all residue containing asbestos fibers in an impermeable container with the appropriate label. Follow practices prescribed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the handling, processing, and disposing of dust or debris that may contain asbestos fibers.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Compress the caliper.
- Remove the caliper.
Remove the caliper by tilting the top up and off the caliper adapter.
NOTEDo not allow brake hose to support caliper assembly.
- Support and hang the caliper.
- Remove the inboard brake pad from the caliper adapter.
- Remove the outboard brake pad from the caliper adapter.
- Bottom the piston in the caliper bore with C-clamp. Place an old brake shoe between a C-clamp and caliper piston.
- Clean the caliper mounting surface.
Install anti-rattle clips.
NOTEWhen servicing the rear brake pads, replace the anti-rattle clips on the brake adapter. Anti-rattle clips are provided with the shoe & lining kit.
- Install inboard brake pad in adapter.
- Install outboard brake pad in adapter.
- Tilt the top of the caliper over rotor and secure to the mounting holes on the brake caliper adapter.
- Install the caliper.
- Install wheel and tire assemblies and lower vehicle.
- Apply brakes several times to seat caliper pistons and brake shoes and obtain firm pedal.
- Top off master cylinder fluid level.