Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
CAUTIONThe rear of the vehicle must be lifted only with a jack or hoist. The lift must be placed under the frame rail crossmember located aft of the rear axle. Use care to avoid bending the side rail flange.
- Raise the vehicle at the frame.
- Use a hydraulic jack to relieve the axle weight.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Remove the nuts, the U-bolts and spring plate from the axle.
- Loosen and remove the bolt and then remove the flag nut through the access hole in the bracket from the spring front eye.
- Remove the nut and bolt that attaches the spring shackle to the rear frame bracket.
- Remove the spring from the vehicle.
- Remove the shackle from the spring.
- Install the spring shackle on the spring finger tight.
- Position the spring on the rear axle pad. Make sure the spring center bolt is inserted in the pad locating hole.
- Align front spring eye with the bolt hole in the front frame bracket. Install the spring eye bolt and flag nut through the access hole in the frame and tighten the bolt finger-tight.
- Align spring shackle eye with the bolt hole in the rear frame bracket. Install the bolt and nut and tighten the spring shackle eye nut finger-tight.
- Install the U-bolts, spring plate and nuts.
- Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 110 ft. lbs. (149 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Remove the support stands from under the frame rails. Lower the vehicle until the springs are supporting the weight of the vehicle.
- Tighten the spring eye pivot bolt and flag nut to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm).
- Tighten the upper shackle bolt and nut and the lower shackle bolt and nut to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm).