The top-feed fuel injector assembly is a solenoid operated device, controlled by the PCM, that meters pressurized fuel to a single engine cylinder. The PCM energizes the injector solenoid, which opens a ball valve, allowing fuel to flow past the ball valve, and through a recessed flow director plate. The director plate has multiple machined holes that control the fuel flow, generating a conical spray pattern of finely atomized fuel at the injector tip. Fuel is directed at the intake valve, causing it to become further atomized and vaporized before entering the combustion chamber. An injector stuck partly open can cause a loss of pressure after engine shutdown. Consequently, long cranking times would be noticed on some engines.
Removal & Installation
- Using a scan tool, retrieve the percentage of remaining engine oil and the remaining automatic transmission fluid life. Record the remaining engine oil and the remaining automatic transmission fluid life.
- Turn OFF the ignition.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the screw retaining the intake air duct/resonator (3) to the PCM housing.
- Unsnap the air filter housing clamps on top of the air cleaner housing assembly.
- Pull the intake air duct/resonator assembly (2) up enough to remove the air cleaner cover (3) and the PCM.
Slide the air cleaner element assembly toward the fender to separate the air cleaner element assembly from the air inlet assembly.
- Loosen the PCM connector attaching bolts.
- Disconnect both PCM connectors.
Remove the PCM (1).
NOTEIf the PCM is being programmed using the Off-Board method, perform the programming before continuing with the steps listed below. Refer to the Off-Board procedure in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming.
- Install the PCM (1).
- Install the PCM connectors. Tighten the PCM connectors screws to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs.).
- Install the air cleaner cover (3) onto the air inlet housing.
- Snap the assembly clamps into place.
- Align the intake air duct/resonator assembly (3) into place.
- Install the screw onto the intake air duct/resonator assembly.
- Tighten the intake air duct clamp to 3 Nm (27 inch lbs.).
- Connect the negative battery cable.