Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump
The secondary air injection (AIR) system helps reduce exhaust emissions. The system forces fresh filtered air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate catalyst operation.
The system includes the following:
Results Of Incorrect Operation
If no air (oxygen) flow enters the exhaust stream, the start up emission levels will rise. The control module can detect a system flow problem using the pre-catalyst heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) and short term FT. If a system flow problem is present the HO2S voltage will not indicate an expected lean condition, short term FT will not increase and a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will set.
If incorrect voltage is present on the vacuum control solenoid or the pump relay control circuits the device will not operate. This will be detected by the control module and a DTC will set.
The following DTCs can set if a secondary air injection fault is detected:
Removal & Installation
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove the retaining screws from the front portion of the left front wheel well/splash shield.
- Lower the splash shield far enough to gain access to the secondary air injection (AIR) pump (2) assembly.
- Loosen and lower the AIR outlet hose pinch clamp.
- Remove the AIR inlet hose from the AIR pump (2).
- Disconnect the AIR pump electrical connector.
- Remove the upper AIR pump to cradle bolt.
Lift up and pull out to remove the AIR pump (2) from the cradle bracket.
- Install the lower AIR pump bolts/nuts into the cradle bracket and push down.
- Install the upper AIR pump to cradle bolt. Tighten the upper and lower AIR pump to cradle bolts to 9 Nm (80 inch lbs.).
- Reconnect the AIR pump electrical connector.
- Install the AIR outlet hose and pinch clamp to the AIR pump (2).
- Install the AIR inlet hose to the AIR pump (2).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel injector sight shield.
- Disconnect the AIR vacuum control valve electrical connector.
- Disconnect the vacuum lines.
- Remove the nut securing the AIR vacuum control valve to the bank 1 AIR shut-off valve bracket.
- Remove the AIR vacuum control valve.
- Install the AIR vacuum control valve to the bank 1 AIR shut-off valve bracket. Tighten the nut to 9 Nm (80 inch lbs.).
- Reconnect the vacuum lines.
- Reconnect the AIR vacuum control valve electrical connector.
- Install the fuel injector sight shield.