Removal & Installation
- Remove the transaxle assembly.
- Install tool J44214 or equivalent to the engine block.
- Loosen the 8 engine flywheel mounting bolts.
- Remove 7 of the 8 flywheel bolts leaving 1 bolt at the top of the crankshaft rotation.
Grip the engine flywheel and remove the remaining bolt.
NOTEDo not drop the engine flywheel when removing the final bolt.
Clean and inspect the engine flywheel.
Inspect the engine flywheel for the following conditions:
NOTEDo not attempt to repair the welded areas that retain the ring gear to the engine flywheel plate. Install a new engine flywheel.
Stress cracks around the engine flywheel-to-torque converter mounting bolt hole locations (1) and/or engine flywheel-to-crankshaft (2, 4)
Damaged or missing ring gear teeth (5)
- Replace the engine flywheel as necessary.
- Apply sealant, GM P/N 12346004 ( Canadian P/N 10953480) or equivalent, to the flywheel mounting bolts.
- Place the engine flywheel in position on the crankshaft.
Install the mounting bolts and tighten in two passes as follows:
First Pass: Tighten the flywheel mounting bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Remove tool J44214 or equivalent from the engine block.
- Install the transaxle assembly.