The wheel bearings are not adjustable. If a wheel bearing is out of specifications, it must be replaced. Using a dial indicator, check for looseness. If play exceeds 0.005 inches (0.127mm), the bearing wear is excessive and the hub and bearing should be replaced.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install the hub and bearing assembly over the halfshaft splines.
NOTEBe sure the splines engage smoothly.
- Apply a light coating of grease to the steering knuckle bore.
- Install the hub/bearing assembly onto the halfshaft as far as possible. If the hub will not bottom out on the halfshaft, install the hub bolts and use the hub nut to draw the hub onto the halfshaft.
- Once the hub is flush with the steering knuckle, remove the mounting bolts and install the dust shield. Reinstall the mounting bolts and torque to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) on Eldorado. Tighten to 95 ft. lbs. (130 Nm) on all Seville and all models with the FE1 & FE3 system or on FE7 systems to 112 ft. lbs. (152 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
ABS speed sensor electrical connector
- Road test the vehicle for proper operation.