Provide proper ventilation when working with fuel in enclosed areas where fuel vapors can collect. The lack of adequate ventilation may result in personal injury.
Always wear safety goggles when working with fuel in order to protect the eyes from fuel splash.
Do not handle the fuel sender assembly by the fuel pipes. The amount of leverage generated by handling the fuel pipes could damage the joints.
- Relieve the fuel system fuel pressure, as outlined in the Fuel System Section.
- Drain the fuel tank to at most 3/4 of a tank full.
- Raise the vehicle.
Remove the fuel tank.
NOTEThe modular fuel sender support assembly will spring-up when the locking ring is moved.
- Remove the fuel sender assembly using tool J39765 Fuel Sender Locknut Wrench or an equivalent.
- Note the position of the fuel sender strainer for installation.
- Support the reservoir with one hand and grasp the fuel sender strainer with the other hand.
- Pull the external fuel sender strainer off of the fuel sender.
- Inspect the fuel sender strainer. If the fuel sender strainer is contaminated, the fuel tank should be cleaned.
- Discard the fuel sender strainer after inspection.
- Disassemble the electrical connectors from the fuel level sensor assembly of the fuel pump and cover assembly.
Disassemble the fuel level sensor assembly.
- Assemble the fuel level sensor assembly.
- Assemble the electrical connectors to the fuel pump and cover assembly.
- Position the new fuel sender strainer on the modular fuel sender and push on the outer edge of the fuel sender strainer until the fuel sender strainer is fully seated on to the sender assembly.
- Install the fuel sender assembly into the fuel tank using tool J39765 Fuel Sender Locknut Wrench or an equivalent.
- Reinstall the fuel tank.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Add fuel to the fuel tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Reinstall the fuel tank filler pipe cap.
- Inspect for fuel leaks.
- Turn the ignition switch ON for 2 seconds.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF for 5 seconds.
- Turn the ignition switch ON .
- Check for fuel leaks.