- Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Loosen the 4 screws from the back of the steering wheel until the screws are disengaged from the inflator module.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module from the steering wheel.
- Remove the nut that secures the steering column shaft.
Use tool J1859-A or equivalent in order to remove the steering wheel.
- Feed the coil assembly lead through the slot in the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel to the column shaft.
- Install the nut in order to secure the steering column shaft.
- Tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Enable the SIR system.