These vehicles are equipped with an air bag system. The system must be disarmed before performing service on, or around, system components, the steering column, instrument panel components, wiring and sensors. Failure to follow the safety precautions and the disarming procedure could result in accidental air bag deployment, possible injury and unnecessary system repairs. Refer to Air Bag/Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Loosen the 4 screws from the back of the steering wheel until the screws are disengaged from the inflator module.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module from the steering wheel.
- Remove the nut that secures the steering column shaft.
Use tool J1859-A or equivalent in order to remove the steering wheel.
- Feed the coil assembly lead through the slot in the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel to the column shaft.
- Install the nut in order to secure the steering column shaft.
- Tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Enable the SIR system.