REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the closed ventilation system.
- Remove the evaporative control system (if so equipped).
- Remove the valve cover with its gasket.
- Take out the rocker arm and shaft assembly securing bolts and remove the rocker arm and shaft.
- Reverse the above for installation. The oil hole on the end of the shaft must be on the top and point toward the front of the engine to provide proper lubrication to the rocker arms. The special bolt goes to the rear. Tighten the rocker arm bolts to 25 ft. lbs. and be sure to adjust the valves.
The stamped steel rocker arms are arranged on one rocker arm shaft per cylinder head. To remove the rocker arms and shaft:
- Disconnect the spark plug wires.
- Disconnect the closed ventilation and evaporative control system (if so equipped).
- Remove the valve covers with their gaskets.
- Remove the rocker shaft bolts and retainers, and lift off the rocker arm assembly.
- Reverse the above procedure to install. The notch on the end of both rocker shafts should point to the engine centerline and toward the front of the engine on the left cylinder head, or toward the rear on the right cylinder head. Tighten the rocker shaft bolts to 17 ft. lbs.