The thermostat is located in the engine water outlet housing at the front of the engine, connected to the upper radiator hose. Poor heater output is often caused by a thermostat stuck in the open position; occasionally a thermostat sticks shut causing overheating.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Partially drain the cooling system to a level slightly below the thermostat. The thermostat is at the engine end of the upper radiator hose.
- Remove the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
- Remove the thermostat housing bolts. Remove the housing.
- Remove the thermostat from the block.
- To install, reverse the above steps. Use a new gasket and gasket sealer. Always place the thermostat with the temperature sensing end facing into the block. On the six, the vent hole must be up.