This plastic canister, located in the engine compartment, stores carburetor and fuel tank vapors while the engine is off, holding them to be drawn into the engine and burned when the engine is started. The filter mounted on the bottom of the canister requires replacement every 30,000 miles (15,000 miles on 1976 models).
- Loosen the screw retaining the canister in its bracket.
- Lift the canister out of its bracket. It's not necessary to detach the hoses from the top of the canister.
- Remove the old filter from the bottom of the canister.
- Install the replacement filter by working it into the retainers on the bottom of the canister.
- Lower the canister back into its bracket and tighten the screw.
- Check all connecting hoses and replace any that are suspect.