REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Standard Steering Column
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the steering wheel.
- On vehicles equipped with a column shift, pry the lever out of the grommet with a screwdriver.
- Remove the steering shaft lower coupling at the wormshaft roll pin.
- Disconnect the wiring connectors at the steering column jacket. Disconnect the horn wire.
- Disconnect the turn signal lever by removing the retaining bolt located in the column housing, next to the steering column.
- Disconnect the transmission indicator pointer from the shifter housing. Remove the nuts attaching the steering column bracket to the instrument panel support.
- Remove the column through the passenger compartment.
- Remove the ignition buzzer switch retaining screw and lift out the switch.
- Remove the two retaining screws and the lock lever guide plate to expose the lock cylinder release hole.
- Place the cylinder in the LOCK position and remove the key.
- Insert a small screwdriver into the release hole and push it in to release the spring loaded lock retainer. Pull the lock cylinder out of the housing at the same time.
- Remove the retaining screws and the ignition switch assembly. Pull the lock lever and spring assembly out of the housing.
- Reverse the above for installation.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the three attaching screws and remove the shaft lock cover.
- Remove the screws that attach the tilt control lever and the turn signal lever to the steering column and then remove the levers.
- Push in the hazard warning knob and unscrew the knob from the turn signal switch. Remove the ignition key lamp assembly.
- Depress the lock plate to gain access to the lock plate retaining snapring. Remove the snapring from the steering shaft.
- Remove the lock plate, cancelling cam, and spring.
- Remove the three turn signal switch attaching screws, place the shift lever in the Low (L) position, and pull the switch and wires as far upward as possible.
- With the ignition lock cylinder in the LOCK position, insert a small screwdriver into the lock release slot in the housing cover.
- Press down with the screwdriver to release the spring latch at the bottom of the slot and pull the lock cylinder from the housing.
The following steps are for ignition switch replacement only.
- Remove the three screws that attach the upper steering column housing to the steering column and remove the housing.
- Install the column tilt control lever and move the column to the full "Up" position.