REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
KM 170, 171, 172
The transaxle and converter must be removed and installed as an assembly.
- Remove the battery and battery tray. On cars with a turbocharger, or fuel injection; remove the air cleaner case.
- Disconnect the throttle control cable at the carburetor and the manual control cable at the transaxle. On fuel injected models; disconnect the oil cooler hose connection, control cable, throttle control cable and wiring harness connecters to the transaxle.
- Disconnect from the transaxle; the inhibitor switch (neutral safety) connector, fluid cooler hoses and the four upper bolts connecting the engine to the transaxle.
- Jack up the car and support on jackstands.
- Remove the front wheels. Remove the engine splash shield.
- Drain the transaxle fluid.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar at the lower arms, and disconnect the control arms from the body. Remove the right and left halfshafts from the transaxle case. See halfshaft removal in this section.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable. Remove the starter motor.
- Remove the lower cover from the converter housing. Remove the three bolts connecting the converter to the engine drive plate.
Never support the full weight of the transaxle on the engine drive plate.
- Turn and force the converter back and away from the engine drive plate.
- Support the weight of the engine from above (chain hoist). Support the transaxle and remove the remaining mounting bolts.
- Remove the transaxle mount insulator bolt.
- Remove (slide away from the engine) and lower the transaxle and converter as an assembly.
- Raise the transaxle in position behind the engine. Align the converter and engine flexplate, push the transaxle into position and secure it to the engine with the mounting bolts. Install the mount through bolt and lower the transaxle into position.
- Remove the chain hoist. Install the under car components. Be sure to connect all controls, wiring and hoses. Use new retaining rings when installing the halfshafts. Torque all 7T bolts to 39 ft. lbs.; 10T bolts to 25 ft. lbs. Lower the vehicle. Install the upper mounting bolts and connect the remaining components. Fill the transaxle.