REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 4WD Vista
- After removing the driveshaft, put mating marks on the front shaft flange, center yoke and rear shaft flange for installation alignment.
- Disconnect the front and rear shaft sections by disassembling the universal joint.
- Remove the center yoke from the front shaft by removing the center retaining nut. Remove the center support bracket. The support will slide off of the bearing by applying alternate side pressure.
- Remove the center bearing, if necessary, use a two legged puller.
- Inspect the center support; the bracket for damage, the rubber for deterioration and the bearing for noise, looseness or rough rotation. Replace as necessary.
- Fill the groove on the inside center of the bearing with multi-purpose grease (NIGI Grade 2). Partially install the bearing onto the driveshaft and install the center bearing bracket over the bearing. Make sure the bearing is securely fitted in the rubber mount. Slide the assembly into place on the driveshaft. Install the yoke and rear driveshaft.
Always use a new self-locking nut to secure the center yoke.4WD Vista
- Remove the driveshaft and center bearing as in the previous procedure.
- Matchmark the two driveshafts with the center bearing.
- Disassemble the universal joint connecting the center bearing with the rear driveshaft.
- Remove and discard the self-locking nut holding the yoke half to the center bearing.
- Pull the yoke from the center bearing.
- Pull off the center bearing bracket.
The mounting rubber is not removable from the center bearing bracket.
- Using a two-jawed puller, remove the center bearing from the forward driveshaft.
- Apply a coating of chassis lube to the grease holder on the center bearing and to the outer circumference of the dust boot at the point at which the shaft is inserted.
- Install the bearing in the groove of the center bearing bracket mounting rubber. Make sure it is securely installed.
- Install the center bearing assembly to the forward driveshaft.
- Align the matchmarks and slide the yoke half into the center bearing. Using a new self-locking nut, seat the yoke in the center bearing. Torque the nut to 160 ft. lbs.
- Align the matchmarks and assemble the yoke. Make sure the snaprings securing the bearings caps are installed with a clearance of 0-0.03mm between the snapring and groove in the yoke.