REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The intake manifold is made from cast aluminum and should not be removed until the engine is cold.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the fuel line (release fuel system pressure on fuel injected models before disconnecting any lines) and the EGR lines (models equipped with EGR) and tag and disconnect all vacuum hoses.
- Disconnect the throttle positioner and fuel cut-off solenoid wires.
- Disconnect the throttle linkage. On automatic transmission cars disconnect the shift cable linkage.
- On the 1597cc engine, remove the fuel pump and the thermostat housing. Disconnect the carburetor choke water hose at the manifold. Also, disconnect the power brake booster vacuum line.
- Drain the engine coolant and remove the water hose from the carburetor.
- Remove the heater and water outlet hoses, disconnect the water temperature sending unit. Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector, power transistor connector, ISC connector, ignition coil connector, etc., and the distributor on fuel injected models.
- Remove the mounting nuts that hold the manifold to the cylinder head. Remove the intake manifold and carburetor, or lower and upper sections with injector assembly as a unit.
- Clean all mounting surfaces. Before installing the manifold, coat both sides with a gasket sealer.
If the engine is equipped with the jet air system, take care not to get any sealer into the jet air intake passage.