REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The rear main seal is located in a housing on the rear of the block. To replace the seal, it is necessary to remove the transmission and perform the work from underneath the car or remove the engine and perform the work on an engine stand or work bench.
On Front Wheel Drive models, the factory recommends that the engine be removed from the car.
- Unscrew the retaining bolts and remove the housing from the block.
- Remove the separator from the housing.
- Using a small prybar, pry out the old seal.
- Clean the housing and the separator.
- Lightly oil the replacement seal. Tap the seal into housing using a canister top or other circular piece of metal. The oil seal should be installed so that the seal plate fits into the inner contact surface of the seal case.
- Install the separator into the housing so that the oil hole faces down.
- Oil the lips of the seal and install the housing on the rear of the engine block.