REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Rear Wheel Drive
The thermostat is located in the intake manifold under the upper radiator hose.
- Drain the coolant below the level of the thermostat.
- Remove the two retaining bolts and lift the thermostat housing off the intake manifold with the hose still attached.
If you are careful, it is not necessary to remove the upper radiator hose.
- Lift the thermostat out of the manifold.
- Install the thermostat. Use a new gasket and coat the mating surfaces with sealer.
- Drain the cooling system to a point below the thermostat level.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect the hose at the thermostat water pipe.
- Remove the water pipe support bracket nut. The nut is also a manifold nut, and is very difficult to get to. A deep offset 12mm box wrench is necessary for removal and installation.
- Unbolt and remove the thermostat housing and pipe.
- Lift out the thermostat. Discard the gasket.
- Clean the mating surfaces of the housing and manifold thoroughly.
- Install the thermostat with the spring facing downward, and position a new gasket. The jiggle valve in the thermostat should be on the manifold side.
- Install the housing and pipe assembly. Tighten the housing bolts to 10 ft. lbs.: the intake manifold nut to 14 ft. lbs.
- Refill the system with a 50% antifreeze mix.