REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Rear Wheel Drive
- Open the radiator petcock and the engine drain plug on the passenger's side. Drain the cooling system. Disconnect the battery ground (negative) cable.
- Remove all drive belts, pump mounted cooling fan/or drive pulley, and the alternator brace.
- Unscrew the retaining nuts and bolts. Remove the water pump.
- Install a new gasket on the timing gear cover with sealer.
- Apply sealer to the mating surface of the water pump. Install the pump. Tighten the nuts and bolts gradually in a criss-cross pattern to 11 ft. lbs. Don't overtighten the fasteners, the pump is aluminum.
- Spin the pump to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the case.
- Install the fan.
- Install and tension the drive belts.
- Refill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove all drive belts and water pump pulley. It may be necessary to remove an engine mount, the power steering pump and alternator brace to gain necessary clearance, depending on model.
- Remove the timing belt covers and timing belt tensioner, and timing belt as explained earlier in this section.
- Remove the water pump bolts.
- Remove the water pump.
- Discard the O-ring in the front end of the water pipe. Install a new O-ring coated with water.
- Using a new gasket, mount the water pump. Torque the bolts with a head mark 4-10 ft. lbs.: the bolts with a head mark 7-20 ft. lbs.
- Assemble the remaining components, install the timing belt according to the previous instructions. Fill the system with a 50% mix of antifreeze.