Some early models and all turbocharged or fuel injected cars are equipped with an electric fuel pump. On the early models the fuel pump is mounted in the trunk on sedans and hardtops and in the left rear wheel housing on station wagons. On the turbocharged Colt and fuel injected Vista, the fuel pump is in the gas tank. On the Conquest, it is on the frame rail, behind the left rear wheel, and on later models is located on the fuel tank.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except Turbocharged and/or Injected Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery ground cable.
- Open the trunk or, on station wagons, remove the left rear wheel housing trim.
- Disconnect the fuel lines.
- Make a note of the electrical connections and then detach them from the pump.
- Remove the retaining screws and remove the pump.
- Install the new pump. Connect the fuel lines and electrical connector. Be sure that you reconnect the wiring correctly. Connect the battery cable.
- Reduce pressure in the fuel lines as follows: Remove the rear seat cushion and carpet. Note the fuel pump wire running along the floor. It has an inwire connector in it. Start the engine and uncouple the connector in the wire. Let the engine stop by itself. Turn the key to OFF. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel tank as described at the end of this section.
- Disconnect the hoses at the pump.
- Unbolt and remove the pump.
- Install the new pump. Use a new gasket. Connect the fuel lines, inline connector and battery cable.
- See Step 1 of the Colt procedure above, to reduce fuel line pressure.
- On early Conquest models. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and support the rear of the car on jackstands.
- Remove the left rear wheel.
- Loosen the fuel tank mounting strap nut and lower the tank slightly.
- Remove the fuel pump support.
- Disconnect the hoses from the pump and remove the pump.
- Connect the fuel lines. Install the new pump. Connect the inline electrical connector and the battery cable.
On late Conquest models, the fuel pump is tank mounted. It is necessary to remove the fuel tank for fuel pump service. Refer to the Colt/Vista procedure.
If the fuel pump doesn't work.
- Check the fuse.
- Check all wiring connections.
- Check the control relay which is located in the engine compartment, next to the ignition coil. If the engine starts when the ignition switch is turned to START but stops when it is turned to ON, the relay is defective. Jumper terminals 1 and 2 of the test connector, the fuel pump should operate. If the pump fails to operate when the jumper is connected, the pump is probably defective.