REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the bolts and separate the intermediate shaft from the companion flange.
- Use a slide hammer puller and remove the intermediate shaft from the differential. Be careful to avoid damaging the oil seal. It is always a good idea to install a new oil seal at shaft installation time.
- Pry the oil seal carefully from the housing. Install a new seal after cleaning the housing mounting surface.
- Service the intermediate shaft as require. Install the shaft after coating the seal surface of the shaft and the oil seal lip with grease. Tap the shaft into position carefully, with the slide hammer if necessary. Take care that the shaft assembly does not fall from the differential during removal or installation operations.
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle with jackstands placed under the frame.
- Disconnect the intermediate shaft and axleshaft flanges.
- Use a small prybar and carefully remove the intermediate shaft from the differential.
- Service the intermediate shaft as required. Install a new seal into the differential. Install the intermediate shaft. Connect the intermediate shaft to the axleshaft. Tighten the bolts to 43 ft. lbs.