Front Wheel Drive
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Support the side frame on jack stands and remove the rear wheels. Remove the rear brake assembly.
- Remove the muffler and jack the control arm just enough to raise it slightly. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the arm.
- Remove the shock absorber and lower the jack. Remove the coil spring.
- Disconnect the brake hoses at the rear suspension arms, and remove the rear suspension from the body as an assembly.
- Install the fixture-to-body bolts and tighten to 36-51 ft. lbs. on Colt models; 51-65 ft. lbs. on Vista models.
- Install the coil springs and loosely install the shock absorbers. Tighten the shock absorber bolts to specification after the vehicle is lowered to the floor.
- Install the rear brake assembly.
- Lower the vehicle and tighten the suspension arm end nuts to 36-51 ft. lbs. on 1979-84 models; 56-70 ft. lbs. on 1985 Colt; 94-108 ft. lbs. on Vista; the shock bolts to 47-58 ft. lbs.
- Install the brake drums and wheels.
- Bleed the brake system and adjust the rear brake shoe clearance.