Rear Wheel Drive
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the clamp bolt connecting the steering shaft with the steering gear.
- Disconnect the tie rod and pitman arm from the relay rod using a linkage puller.
- Remove the gear box from the frame by loosening the side mounting bolts. To install, fasten the box to the frame and connect the linkage.
- Measure the mainshaft preload with an inch pound torque wrench. The allowable torque is 3 to 4.8 inch lbs.
- The preload torque is corrected by reducing or increasing the number of shims under the end plate.
- Seat the cross-shaft and bearings by turning the steering mainshaft and the adjusting bolt two or three times.
- Tighten the adjusting bolt to obtain zero free-play with the cross-shaft in the center position. Tighten the locknut on the adjusting bolt.